What is Microblading?
Microblading eyebrows is a form of permanent makeup that creates natural eyebrows with a handheld microblade. It’s perfect for people who have overplucked eyebrows or those who want to define or reshape their eyebrows. Microblading originated in Asia over 20 years ago and has gone by many names: eyebrow embroidery, 3D brows, feather touch, microstroking and even “the Japanese Method.” By 2015, microblading became a popular brow trend in the states.
Microblading is done by using a unique handheld instrument with a small row of very fine needles that deposit pigment into the dermis with feathering strokes. The pigment is implanted in the basal membrane, which divides the epidermis from the dermis layer of the skin. This creates very crisp, fine hair strokes that don’t blur after healing like you would experience with a traditional permanent makeup machine.
All microblading requires a second touch up appointment, because all client’s skin is different and receives the pigment differently. It’s impossible to accurately predict how a pigment will be affected by a client’s undertones.
After 30 days, the client should come in for a touch up. This appointment can last one to two hours, depending on the amount of work needed. In this appointment, the artist will “warm up” or “cool down” the colors, to get it to match perfectly. They may also reapply any parts of the microbladed brow that may have naturally sloughed off during the healing process.
How long does it last?
Results last 6 months to 3 years depending on your age, skin, and lifestyle. You may need to come in for touch ups every 3 months or yearly.
Does it hurt?
This is designed to be a gentle procedure with minimal discomfort. Most of our clients report little or no pain. Often they say it’s a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10, at most. Some clients have literally slept through the appointment! The degree of discomfort will depend on several factors, such as if you opt for anesthetics, location of the treatment, and your pain threshold. In the beginning you will feel a scratching feeling while we are marking the shape and design of the brow. A numbing cream is then applied which is absorbed into the skin within a few seconds. Once the cream has absorbed, you will have very little feeling.
What is the typical cost?
Remember you get what you pay for! Competitors may charge less, but this requires a higher price tag, brows frame the face so it’s critical they are perfect.
~Initial treatment for brows – starts at $550, consult required
~Touch-up between 1-3 months – $100
~Yearly touch-up – $300 (pro-rated if you come in before or after a year)
- Pregnancy or nursing
- Diabetic patients
- Skin diseases or conditions including eczema, seborrhea dermatitis, acne, keratosis, shingles, rashes, or anything else near eyebrows
- Directly after Botox treatment (after 2 months is allowed)
- Use of Accutane, Isoltretinoin, or other retinoids (after 6 months is allowed)
- If you have a pacemaker, this manual method can be used, but any machine use is not allowed
- Very sensitive and pain intolerant
- Sunburn or frostbitten (allowed after symptoms are gone)
- Very dry or peeling skin
- Excessive sebum, oily skin
- Broken capillaries, large capillaries, or moles near eyebrows
- Prone to keloids or post-inflammatory hypopigmentation
- HIV or Hepatitis
- Undergoing chemotherapy
- We provide a free consultation. The consultation will be approximately 15-30 minutes; this will NOT be your procedure day.
- A non-refundable deposit is required to reserve your procedure appointment.
- Consent forms will be emailed to you, which must be completed before the procedure.
- We take photos of you so we can study the symmetry of your features. No one is exactly the same, and what we see as your ideal brow might not be what you want, we want to achieve your perfect brow. Our goal is to obtain symmetry and communicate realistic expectations. Please remember we can’t make you look like your favorite celebrity, we are brow artists not plastic surgeons.
Procedure Day (procedure takes approximately 2-3 hours):
- Please arrive least 10 minutes before your appointment. Late arrival will not be accepted, please call us; it can lead to your treatment being postponed to another day.
- We clean your brow area with sterile, hygienic pads and apply numbing cream.
- We measure and draw your brows on your skin with a soft pencil.
- Photos will be taken, often times a photo will show defects or issues that may need to be addressed.
- We use a sterile and disposable microblading tool during your procedure.
- We use EU Regulated Permanent Makeup high quality pigments, specially manufactured for microblading.